Friday, July 18, 2014

A peek at things to come


Just a peek mind you!

I recently submitted a manuscript for a contest. It had to be erotic with romantic elements.
I think I managed it. 

The crazy thing is that it was my NaNoWriMo project from November.

When the call came for submissions 
I thought
I could do this!
So I did!

I don't know if I'll win
but
I hope so!

If not, I'll find another way.

There are so many talented writers out there looking for recognition.

I'm just one of many.
(At least I hope so!)

So, here's a peek at a snippet of my submission.

Stealing Hope

The rumbles of a multitude of volcanoes made the ground thrum. Ari stirred, blinking one sleepy eye. The movement of the molten lava through the cave warmed the air. He sniffed the air, a change was coming. The scent of the world was changing.
He wondered what was going outside. Ari didn’t know whether it would be good or bad. Many times over the centuries he had explored, learning the world around them. As man grew more sophisticated it was more dangerous for them to be spotted. Though centuries old he was still considered young. There was still much of the world to see. But perhaps not now.
His siblings were stirring. He could see them also sniffing the air, but no one left the nest. The volcano made the cave warm. The occasional spitting of the lava brought heat, but no harm. Snuggling together, all but Ari drifted back to sleep.
His sire and dam circled the nest, checking out their hatchlings. Though the eggs were long gone, no one left permanently until they found their mate, and no matter how old, Ari and his siblings would always answer to them.
Stretching and sniffing the air, much as he had done, his parents slowly crept out of the cave. They always kept abreast of the world to keep them all safe from harm. When it was safe to awaken, they would roust them all to explore.
Ari sniffed again, there was definitely a change in the wind. Maybe this change would signal a new era for them, an era where they once again ruled the skies. This wakening he had little desire to explore. Ari laid his head back down, nestling with his hatch mates. The time to awaken was not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment