Friday, February 20, 2015

Researching Emergency Items

Well, I know you should keep a supply of foodstuffs on hand and I was so excited to find out what was on it.

I currently keep on hand the bags of soup that you add water to. I tend to add different meats and frozen vegetables, depending on what type of soup I'm making. They have a few years shelf life on them, so I don't worry about what I have hanging around. When there is a sale, I buy more.

Then I saw this post from ReadyNutrition.com, 11 Emergency Food Items That Can Last a Lifetime.

You know I was right on this!

With proper preparation the following can be stored for a long, long time:

Honey
Salt
Sugar
Wheat (though I wonder how for this one. I'm going to have to check it out)
Dried Corn
Baking Soda
Instant Coffee, Tea and cocoa
Non carbonated soft drinks
White Rice
Bullion Products
Powdered Milk

Visit the web site at ReadyNutrition.com for an extensive compilation of free information on preparedness, homesteading, and healthy living.

Fascinating and I'm ready to run out and stock a huge supply.  I suppose you can buy all of this and put it away in a room for future need. Most prepper sites I've gone to suggest rotating stores. Don't just set it and forget. You could end up with unusable food and no supplies in the event of an emergency.

One item you'll always need is water. If something happens don't forget to fill up your tub and sinks with water. Fill any empty containers with as much water as you can. Remember, you can go longer without food than water.

Now I wonder how I can work this information into my series. There had to be someone that had prepared and survived. Like Hope's family went on, someone prepared also has to have descendants around. Somehow A Dragon's Fated Heart series will absorb and use this information!

No comments:

Post a Comment