Thursday, April 9, 2015

Blogging from A to Z: Happily Ever After


http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/

H is for Happily Ever After

Do you ever wonder if this is true? Thank goodness for the romances that are a series! You get a peek at the previous characters to see if this is true. 

If you're a romance reader or writer like me, we read romance for the Happily Ever After (HEA) or even for the Happily for Now (HFN). I want to see the fairy tale come true. I know the story is going to end well. It's getting there that I love.

It's heart breaking to see the characters you grew to love die off. Divorce? Stop the Presses!!! If it's a beloved character, the hero or heroine of a book that's come before never say it! You know it can't happen. They will discover their love again, fight their way through the situation.

If not, well, it would leave a sour taste in my mouth. Tarnish the reason I read romance. Because everyone gets their HEA! It can't change like that. Yes, they die and that is heartbreaking. You mourn right along with the family. 

If it doesn't have an HEA, it is NOT romance. Chick lit, fiction call it what you will but it's NOT romance. It may have romantic elements. You can find that on a date, that's not unusual. But for me, don't tout it as a romance.

If it says it's a romance I expect an HEA or HFN. If I don't get it, I won't plan on reading any book by that author that says it is a romance. I don't want to feel cheated. And I would.

It doesn't even matter what type of romance. I love almost all of them. (I'm a little tired of vampires, but I guess I got spoiled when they started to sparkle!)

No matter how fantastic, or down to earth they are, I find something to enjoy in them. I'm not looking for a surprise, just a little escape from my everyday life.

They make me happy!




Find my HEA's at www.beverlyovalle.com

No comments:

Post a Comment