Saturday, September 6, 2014

Learning your Craft

I've been a busy beaver these last couple of months! Not only have Triple D Dude Ranch and Stealing Hope been contracted, but I've been learning more about the craft of writing.

I joined RWA (Romance Writers of America) and they offer different classes to writers.

So far I've been able to take Networking 101. I'm on the list for Time Management when it is scheduled. (My warped sense of humor is having way too much fun with the fact that is was rescheduled!)

Currently I'm taking a course, Roses Plotting Bootcamp. I can only hope it will keep me from getting lost in my stories! It has started with teaching the basics of theme, loglines and premise of the story. Something I scramble for after my book is written. I guess I do it backwards!

Many writers actually have degrees in creative writing or journalism. I applaud them and wonder what I'd learn if I did that too.

But there are other ways and things to do. The romance writers at one of my publishers and one of my Face book groups swears by a couple of books. One is The Emotion Thesaurus

There are a series of these Thesauruses.


The Negative Trait Thesaurus
and
The Positive Trait Thesaurus










The other is How to Write Hot Sex



WHAT? Did you think we wrote it all from EXPERIENCE?????

One of my publishers has given blurb writing classes. Again, it all helps. You can search different writer sites and pick up different tips and hints. On one I found how to write a professional Query letter to a publisher. After all, you want your first impression to be a good one! 

I know the internet can lead to procrastination, (I am the queen after all) but every author has to do research. If you don't how will your tale ever sound real and draw your readers in? Not to mention keep them coming back for more!

As in everything, even in writing, there are things to learn and places to go to learn them. If you want to write, take advantage of everything that is out there to help you along.

No comments:

Post a Comment